Metadata describe your datasets and files, making it easier for you and others to find, understand, and interpret your data. SEAD allows Project Space administrators to customize the set of metadata options in their Project Space so that teams can add the metadata that makes the most sense for their research.
Updating Default Metadata Fields and Adding New Metadata Terms
The majority of the default metadata fields in SEAD Project Spaces are from the Dublin Core metadata schema. SEAD recognizes that the Dublin Core schema might not meet your team’s needs. For example, many ecology researchers use EML (Ecological Metadata Language). As a result, SEAD allows Project Space administrators to add new terms.
- If you are an administrator in a Project Space, select the Manage Metadata Terms and Definitions link provided on the right hand side of the Project Space home page to see all current metadata terms available in your Project Space.
- If there are terms in your Project Space you would prefer not to appear, or you would prefer to use a different label, use the Edit/Delete links on the right to edit or remove the existing metadata terms.
- To add a new metadata term, scroll down to the Add a Metadata Term form at the bottom of the page.
Provide a new label, enter a unique URI where this metadata is defined (e.g., the “Bibliographic Citation” term has a URI pointing to http://purl.org/dc/terms/bibliographicCitation), and select a type. The most common type is a string, a free-form, plain-text field. Click “+Add” to finish adding the new metadata term to your Project Space metadata options.
See the section below to learn how to add a metadata term that returns a list of values that the user can select from as possible options for this metadata definition.
Adding Metadata Terms that Point to External Controlled Vocabularies
SEAD allows you to add a new metadata term that points to an external controlled vocabulary where allowed values for the term are defined. SEAD currently supports any non hierarchical, flat name metadata schemas.
To add a new metadata term that points to an external controlled vocabulary, complete the following steps:
- Click on the Manage Metadata Terms and Definitions link provided on the right hand side of the Project Space home page and scroll down to the Add a Metadata Term form located at the bottom of the page.
- Provide a new label and enter a unique URI where this metadata is defined (e.g., the “ODM2 Variable Name” term points to the http://vocabulary.odm2.org/variablename URI). Select a List or Queryable List as a type. The list type requires you to define a Definitions URL which should return a list of values that the user can select from as possible options for this metadata definition. Click “+Add.”
Users in your space can now choose from the list of available values when using this metadata term.